CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Two people were transported for smoke inhalation after a fire in Chesapeake Tuesday afternoon.
Capt Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department said the fire was contained to one apartment int he 1300 block of Ivy Trail. Crews were dispatched at 4:36 p.m. and arrived at the scene at 4:40 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from a first-floor apartment. They were able to control what was determined to be a kitchen fire at 4:49 p.m. The cause appears to have been unattended cooking.
Saunders said both a resident of the apartment and a firefighter were transported to Chesapeake Regional Medical Center after reporter they weren’t feeling well.
There are eight units in the apartment building, but only the three residents of the apartment where the first started have been displaced, Saunders said. They have made arrangements to stay with friends in the area.
No further information has been released. Stay with WAVY.com for updates as they become available.