ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (WAVY) – Law enforcement officials in North Carolina concluded “Operation Double Down” Friday with the arrests of more than a dozen suspects on drug charges.
“It’s targeting street-level dealers, and we are trying to take care of some of the complaints that we are getting throughout the city,” said Elizabeth City Police Captain John Young.
According to the Elizabeth City Police Department, the operation has been going on for about a year. Undercover officers in two other jurisdictions targeted areas with the highest number of drug complaints and then purchased crack cocaine, powder cocaine and marijuana from suspects.
“The operation included an undercover police officer who was wired with video, and they sold to [the officer] in a controlled environment,” Young said.
The operation is called “Double Down” because it was conducted in two phases. The first, in March, nabbed 21 suspects. The second phase targeted 23 suspects, and Authorities were able to round up 18 of by 3 p.m. Friday.
“Officers were briefed and took to the streets by 8:45 a.m. on Friday morning with informational packets detailing the names of those who had warrants filed against them along with probable locations where they could be found. As they were arrested and processed officers went out for more,” Young said.
All of the suspects were arrested for possession with the intent to sell and deliver and the sale and delivery of a controlled substance. They were processed and placed in Albemarle District Jail with bonds ranging from $15,000 to $50,000.
- Linwood Dewayne Gallop 09/22/76 813 Shannon St. Elizabeth City
- Quayshon Anthony Whitehurst 07/29/94 706 Adams St. Elizabeth City
- Isaac Stanley White Jr. 02/27/84 1125 Don Juan Rd. Hertford
- Tekaldra Cabina Wood 10/02/93 239 Hurdle Town Rd. Hertford
- Keith Waverly Harrell 04/11/87 527 Shepard St. Elizabeth City
- Quavonte Chaequan Johnson 03/01/96 307 Paxton St. Elizabeth City
- Sean Anthony Trafton 04/08/90 374 Ivy Neck Rd. Camden
- John Quincy Mullen 03/22/63 1442 Northside Road, Elizabeth City
- Chavious Pheneis Moore 05/12/85 Lot 13 Winslows Trl Pk, Elizabeth City
- Jeffrey Davis 05/14/87 981 Simpson Ditch Rd, Elizabeth City
- Rashawn Darrell Brown 02/02/82 707 Dawson St. Elizabeth City
- John Godman Barclift Jr. 06/19/85 654 Egan Ln. Elizabeth City
- Damian Maxwell Wilson 04/02/91 98 Carters Rd. Gates County
- Tacorius Anduwann Sutton 09/29/91 329 Paxton St. Elizabeth City
- Tyrese Stokley 03/14/84 407 E. Burgess St. Elizabeth City
- Antoine Stokley 01/06/83 407 E. Burgess St. Elizabeth City
- Rodney James Tyrell Brooks 03/31/88 905 Cedar Point Circle Elizabeth City
- Thomas Earl Reid 01/21/68 800 South Moravian St. Wilkesboro
- Darris LaFonda Gibbs 10/19/59 203 Roanoke Ave. Elizabeth City
- Antonio Detron Daniels 08/06/86 1403 River Road Lot 157, Elizabeth City
- Carlton Jamon Parker 01/23/93 170 Second Ave. Hertford
- Donavon Letrell Hall 09/06/80 504 Roanoke Ave. Elizabeth City
- Jamal Jacob McClease 11/01/95 405 Bell St. Elizabeth City
Officers served an additional charge on Rashawn Darrell Brown for possession of schedule II controlled substance. During his apprehension, Brown had .2 grams of crack cocaine on his person, Young said.
The sting operation followed citizen complaints of visible drug activity on public streets.
“They just don’t want to see the deterioration of the city and the manner of drugs and street-level buys, and the hands to hands that people are seeing on the streets,” Young said. “They call and make complaints and we are going to respond.”
The following agencies are participating in Operation Double Down:
- Elizabeth City Police Department
- Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Office
- NC Alcohol Law Enforcement
- NC Department of Community Corrections
- NC State Bureau of Investigations
- Edenton Police Department
- Hertford Police Department
- Camden County Sheriff’s Office
- Gates County Sheriff’s Office