Four-story hotel evacuated due to Freon leak

Facebook submission/Kim Watson

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A Freon leak caused the evacuation of an extended-stay hotel in Hampton Thursday.

Around 11:45 p.m., fire units were dispatched to the Savannah Suites in the 2100 block of West Mercury Boulevard when a fire alarm was activated, according to Captain Jeffrey Pereira with Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue.

Upon arrival, crews were told about a Freon leak from an air conditioning unit in a second-floor work room. Because Freon is an asphyxiate, capable of displacing oxygen in the air, the whole four-story building was evacuated by firefighters, Pereira said.

HazMat teams were called to determine air quality, oxygen levels and ventilation of the facility. The Virginia Department of Emergency Management also assisted.

Pereira said one person was medically evaluated at the scene, but not transported.

Residents were allowed to re-enter the building around 2:30 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s