NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Newport News fire crews were called to a fire at the Hickory Point Apartments Wednesday afternoon.
Battalion Chief J. Douglas Carper with the Newport News Fire Department said the fire sparked around 1:20 p.m. in the 300 block of Hickory Point Boulevard. Heavy fire and smoke were showing from the first floor of the two-story apartment.
“Fire fighters entered the structure and began an aggressive interior fire attack and a search for occupants,” Carper said. “It was determined that the occupants escaped prior to the arrival of the fire department.”
Then the flames began to spread to an adjacent apartment, so additional fire units were requested from York County Fire and Life Safety.
Crews were able to control the fire by 2:09 p.m. The cause was determined to be unattended cooking.
Carper said one apartment has been condemned and two adults and a child have been displaced. The American Red Cross is helping the family.
No one was injured.
Stay with WAVY.com for more on this developing story.