Grand jury indicts woman accused of killing toddler

Emily Defries, photo courtesy Norfolk Police.

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – The woman accused of murdering a toddler back in May was indicted by a grand jury in Norfolk Circuit Court Wednesday.

No further details have been released about the court appearance, but in a preliminary hearing last week, the Commonwealth Attorney’s office presented inconsistent information found in the evidence and testimony of 24-year-old Emily DeFries.

DeFries told police she was babysitting the 20-month-old victim and two other children on May 18 at a home in the 7000 block of Gregory Drive. Authorities said she told them she periodically checked on the little girl, Anna Bell, who had been sleeping upstairs. She claimed she found the victim at the bottom of the stairs then called 911.

The victim was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital and pronounced dead at 6:10 p.m. May 18. The Medical Examiner’s office determined the child died from blunt force trauma and ruled the case a homicide.

DeFries is the fiancée of Anna Bell’s father, according to commonwealth attorney’s office spokeswoman Amanda Howie.

Howie said her office presented at the Sept. 24 preliminary hearing that Anna Bell’s injuries are not consistent with falling down the stairs, which were carpeted, and that the skull fractures and broken arm are the result of shaking and slamming. The charge of second-degree was certified to the grand jury.

DeFries was arraigned May 21 in Norfolk. WAVY News’ Lex Gray reported DeFries cried as the charge against her was read.

In May, neighbor Beverly Broadus saw medics carrying the child to the ambulance. Disturbed by what she saw, Broadus walked over to the home to ask what was wrong.

“She seemed to be upset. She was crying, trying to hold it together, for the most part,” said Broadus, describing DeFries’ demeanor. “She seemed to be pretty upset.”

Broadus said DeFries told her the same story she told police.

“She said the child fell down the steps, and I gave her a hug and told her my mom lives across the street and if she needed anything to knock on the door,” Broadus said, promising to return to check on the child. “I did come back the next day and nobody came to the door.”

Neighbors say the military couple had just moved in within the last few months. Posts on Defries’ Facebook page say she got engaged the same day she called 911, the same day the toddler died.

“As a parent, my heart goes out to them, to the parents of the toddler,” said Reymita Smith, a neighbor. “That’s a very sad situation. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.”

DeFries remains behind bars without bond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s