Fridge may have caused storage facility fire

Photo by WAVY/Chris Omahen

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – No one was hurt in a fire at a Chesapeake storage facility early Monday morning.

Capt. Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched to the 2400 block of Gum Road around 4:30 a.m. There, they found smoke showing from multiple units at a self-storage facility.

A second-alarm was called around 4:45 a.m. Saunders said the fire was declared under control just before 5 a.m.

The fire was contained to just one unit, but others suffered smoke damage. No one was hurt.

The fire appears to be accidental and possibly related to a malfunctioning refrigerator inside the unit, Saunders said. Lawn care equipment including lawnmowers, hedge trimmers and weed eaters were also inside the unit.

It’s possible about $20,000 in damage occurred in the unit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s