FD: Torch caused apartment fire

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Fire officials say a torch from a contractor caused an apartment fire in Hampton Thursday morning.

Firefighters responded to the 100 block of Maywood Drive around 11:20 a.m. and saw light smoke in the eaves of a two-story brick apartment, according to Assistant Chief Jeffrey Pereira with the Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue.

Crews found fire in the walls of some of the apartments and in the attic.

It was determined contracted workers using a torch accidentally caused the fire.

“At the time of the fire, the electrical service to the apartment building had been temporarily disconnected so that some work could be completed,” Pereira said.

No one was inside any of the affected apartments at the time of the fire, and no one was injured. Pereira said five to eight residents have been displaced from four apartments due to fire damage.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s