Bathroom fire breaks out during school dismissal

Google Maps
Google Maps

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – A small fire broke out at Ruffner Academy in Norfolk Friday afternoon, just as school officials were sending students home early due to an air conditioning malfunction.

Battalion Chief Julian Williamson with Norfolk Fire-Rescue said the fire happened around 12:50 p.m. inside a paper towel dispenser in the 4th-floor boys bathroom. There was some smoke in the bathroom, but no one was injured.

Before the fire, Elizabeth Mather with Norfolk Public Schools told WAVY.com the school was closing at 12:45 p.m. because the building was too hot. A reverse phone call was sent to all families alerting them of the early closure.

Mather said the air conditioning will be restored before Monday when SOL testing is set to begin.

blog comments powered by Disqus