Fire in high school trash can forces evacuation

Booker T Washington High School in Norfolk, Va. (Courtesy:

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Students were evacuated at a Norfolk high school Thursday morning.

Elizabeth Mather with Norfolk Public Schools told a fire sparked in a trash can in a restroom at Booker T. Washington High School. Students were evacuated while smoke was cleared. As of 11:15 a.m., students were still outside.

Bat. Chief Julian Williamson with Norfolk Fire said the fire was out by the time crews arrived.

There were no injuries.

Mather did not give further information on the fire. Stay with for more on this developing story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s