HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Crews have knocked down a residential fire in the Buckroe area of Hampton Tuesday afternoon.
A 911 call came in around 4:10 p.m. for a house fire on the first block of South 6th Street. Captain Jeffrey Pereira with the Hampton Fire Division said firefighters arrived to find light smoke coming from the eaves of the roof, and were able to control the flames quickly, within about five minutes.
One resident was assessed by a medic for possible smoke inhalation injuries, but no one was transported from the scene.
Pereira said the cause of the fire was accidental, due to careless cooking.
The fire was contained to a kitchen area, but smoke damaged throughout the home. Three residents were displaced, and the American Red Cross was requested to assist them.