Children escape fire on Head Start bus

Fire broke out in the engine of this Head Start bus in Ahoskie, NC on May 6, 2014. All 21 children on board escaped without injury. (Facebook/Carolyn Chamblee)
Fire broke out in the engine of this Head Start bus in Ahoskie, NC on May 6, 2014. All 21 children on board escaped without injury. (Facebook/Carolyn Chamblee)

AHOSKIE, N.C. (WAVY) – A school bus transporting Head Start children caught on fire during its morning route in Ahoskie.

The bus monitor, bus driver and a good samaritan helped get all 21 children safely off the bus when fire broke out in the engine around 8 a.m. Tuesday.

The bus is owned by Choanoke Area Development Association (CADA) of NC, Inc. Sallie Surface with CADA told WAVY.com all parents were notified about the incident.

Another bus responded to the scene on Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard to transport the children to the Hertford County Child Development Center.

There are no reported injuries.

blog comments powered by Disqus