Fire at Hampton laundromat ruled accidental

Photo by WAVY/Larry Carney

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – Flames shot from the roof of a laundromat in Hampton late Sunday, and officials say it was due to an electrical malfunction.

Captain Jeffrey Pereira with the Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue said crews were called to the Soaps N Suds laundry center located in the 200 block of West Mercury Boulevard, near Kmart, around 11 p.m.

Photos: Hampton laundromat catches fire

Pereira said there was a fire on the roof of the building, and that heavy flames and smoke were coming from the roof. When WAVY News crews arrived, the majority of the building was damaged.

Around noon Monday, Pereira said the cause was found to be accidental, due to a malfunction with electrical wiring. The fire started near the base of the wall near the front door and traveled up in the wall to the roof space, where it vented itself.

An employee still at the business noticed a smell of smoke and a problem with the lights just before the fire, but was able to get out safely.

A large portion of the roof collapsed during the fire, and the contents of the building were destroyed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s