Man convicted of sexually abusing 6-year-old

gavel

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A man was convicted Friday of sexually abusing a 6-year-old girl in Virginia Beach multiple times last year.

A jury found 35-year-old Christopher David Shaw guilty of aggravated sexual battery and recommended a sentenced of 11 years in prison and a $10,000 fine, according to Amanda Herman with the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney for the city of Virginia Beach.

Herman said the Commonwealth’s evidence proved that Shaw sexually abused a child he knew between January 15, 2013 and March 31, 2013.

“Shaw removed the child from her bed in the middle of the night, while his wife and the child’s parents were asleep in the home,” Herman said. “He took the child into the living room, where the abuse occurred, and would return her to her bed afterwards.”

When the girl told her mother about the abuse, the mother confronted Shaw, recording the encounter on her cell phone. Herman said Shaw confessed to the abuse and apologized for it during the recording.

Shaw failed to appear at an interview with investigators about the abuse and was taken into custody at Little Creek Amphibious Base on April 10. Herman said Shaw previously resided on the USS Mitscher.

The parents of the victim released the following statement after the jury’s decision Friday:

What happens in the dark of night shall come to light. We are relieved that [Gunner’s Mate first class] Christopher David Shaw was convicted and is no longer able to hurt any other little girls. Our daughter is safe and that is the most important thing to us.

Shaw has a prior conviction from New Jersey in 1997 involving lewd conduct with a 13-year-old.

Circuit Court Judge Stephen Mahan, who presided over the three-day trial, will formally sentence Shaw on August 19.

blog comments powered by Disqus