PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – The Midtown Tunnel will close for several hours Sunday to allow tide gate testing.
The tunnel will be closed between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. April 27. Traffic will be detoured to the Downtown Tunnel on Interstate 264.
The Elizabeth River Tunnels Project team will perform the following:
• Tide gate operation and procedural review
• Machinery review and water-seal inspection
• Structural review of the elements that allow the gate to be lowered
• Electrical testing for both the primary and emergency power sources
• Inspection of all pumps, valves and controllers
Testing of the tide gate at the Midtown Tunnel is a part of routine maintenance. The last test was done Aug. 4.