PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Several people from Hampton Roads will run the Boston Marathon on Monday. Michael Davis is one of those runners.
The Portsmouth resident first ran the race in 2013, but he never crossed the finish line due to the bombings. He pledged he would return, and that’s what he’s about to do on Marathon Monday.
“I can’t wait to cross,” said Davis. “I can’t wait to celebrate with my family.”
WAVY News’ Liz Palka spoke to Davis from Boston on Sunday evening. There are 36,000 people running the race this year.
Davis, who is legally blind, is one of 63 blind runners, as well. As he’s done in the past, Monday Davis will run the marathon with his two guides.
“I’ve been told when you make the turn onto Boylston Street, even though I haven’t done that yet, the energy there is even more,” he said.
Davis has already run the Boston Marathon. The 2013 race was his first time. He was at mile 25.8 when two bombs went off at the marathon finish line.
“I just couldn’t really think,” Davis remembered. “Like because all I could think about was Reneka and my mom, and they were in the bleachers, and they told me the bleachers had been destroyed. So I thought they had died.”
Davis’ wife and mother were safe. He and his guides were, too.
They were determined to get back to Boston. As they said in 2013, nothing would stop them from crossing that finish line, they would go back in 2014.
“I can’t wait to go out with my guides, Dennis Welch and David Mick, and finish what we started last year.”
WAVY News plans to follow Davis’ race Monday. Check back with WAVY.com for updates.