Family displaced after bird nest caused house fire

Photo by Suffolk Fire-Rescue
Photo by Suffolk Fire-Rescue

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Fire officials say a bird nest caused a house fire in the Holland borough of Suffolk Friday afternoon.

Just before 12:30 p.m., emergency communications received a 911 call about a house fire in the 6700 block of South Quay Road, according to Diana Klink with the Suffolk Fire-Rescue Department.

When fire crews arrived, they could see heavy smoke coming from the back of a two-story Victorian home. Klink said crews discovered the flames were confined to an upstairs laundry area and that the fire was caused by a bird nest which had been build in a dryer vent.

The residence was damaged enough to displace the family of four, who live there. The two adults and two children will say with family, Klink said.

No one was injured.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s