NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk fire crews rescued a person from the second story of a burning building Tuesday evening.
Battalion Chief Julian Williamson with Norfolk Fire-Rescue said crews responded to the 1400 block of Chapel Street after a 911 call about a house fire around 4:54 p.m.
At the scene just four minutes later, firefighters saw heavy black smoke coming from the rear windows of the two-story home.
Williamson said there were three people inside the house at the time of the fire. Two were helped out of a window before firefighters arrived, and the third was rescued from the second floor by fire crews.
Two of the occupants were transported to a local hospital to be evaluated for smoke inhalation injuries.
Crews located the main body of the fire in the kitchen and extinguished it quickly, Williamson said.
The home sustained damage on both floors, making it uninhabitable. The American Red Cross was called to assist the nine residents displaced from the home — four adults, five children.
Williamson said the cause of the fire has been ruled an accidental cooking fire.
No further information has been released. Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this developing story.