Exploding gas can sparks VB fire

Bartow Pl fire

VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. (WAVY) An exploding gas can sparked a fire at Virginia Beach home Sunday morning.

Around 10:25 a.m. the Virginia Beach Fire Department received a report from a homeowner who said they were outside their home when a gas can they opened exploded, spreading flames to the front of their house in the 1400 block of Bartow Place near the oceanfront, according to a fire department spokeswoman.

Crews arrived on the scene to find fire and smoke coming from the front of the home.

There were no reports of anyone trapped in the home or of any injuries.

According to the fire department spokeswoman, what caused the gas can to explode is not clear at this time.

Fire crews extinguished the fire and are investigating the cause.

The Red Cross is assisting the four adults who live at the home with lodging.

Stay with WAVY.com and Wavy News on air for updates.

blog comments powered by Disqus