Lockdown at Maury lifted after search for weapon

A file photo of Maury High School in Norfolk taken on April 11, 2014. (WAVY/Larry Carney)

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Maury High School in Norfolk went on lockdown Friday morning because of the threat of a possible weapon.

Shortly after 11 am., WAVY News started receiving messages from students and parents about Maury High School being on lockdown. Elizabeth Thiel Mather with Norfolk Public Schools confirmed the school was placed under a precautionary lockdown after a student overheard another student talking about having a gun.

Police searched the building and didn’t find a weapon. Thiel Mather said the lockdown was lifted around 12:30 pm.

Word of a lockdown at Maury spread quickly. Mothers and fathers started showing up to get their children, who were locked down in the school. The lockdown meant if you were outside, you were not coming in, and if you were inside, you were not going out.

One mother said she was trying desperately to get to her child, who has disabilities.

“I didn’t know if my child was hurt. I didn’t know if he was scared. I didn’t know what was going on. I was in fear, and I wanted to get to my child,” said Lisa Key.

Mothers weren’t the only ones scared, students were scared, too.

“I was scared. People in my class were panicking, and calling their moms. It was just crazy,” said Jasmine Hayes, a student.

The lockdown was forced by a student who was overheard claiming he had a gun to another student. WAVY News’ Andy Fox learned the incident ended in a fourth floor classroom that had a substitute teacher.

Caleb Symborski was in a class fitting that description, and he said five police officers came into the class.

“They said, ‘Everyone get to the corner.’ One had a flashlight, shining it on peoples’ faces, seeing if the person was among us,” said Symborski.

The police left, but came back and ended up handcuffing one of the students in the class who apparently had been acting up.

“They put handcuffs on the guy, and took him out,” said Symborski. Symborski said that student ended up not being the one who had been overheard saying he had a gun.

Police searched the building and did not find a weapon. Thiel Mather said the lockdown was lifted around 12:30 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s