Fire sparks in NN home’s dryer

Newport News house fire on April 11, 2014. (Photo courtesy Lauren A. Drewry)


NEWPORT NEWS, VA. (WAVY) – The Red Cross assisted a Newport News woman with a place to stay after a fire that started in a clothes dryer forced fire crews to condemn her home.

Firefighters responded to Wanger Court in the Denbigh section of the city after receiving reports of a house fire Friday night.

Crews arrived on the scene within five minutes of receiving the call to find smoke coming from a one-story home. Firefighters contained the fire to the home’s garage, where the fire started. Fire crews had to condemn the home because the power was disconnected while they battled the fire.

Fire investigators ruled the fire accidental.

A spokesman for the fire department supplied the following  list of clothes dryer safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:

The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them.

  •  Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
  •  Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
  •  Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
  •  Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
  •  Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
  •  Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
  •  Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
  •  Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer.
  •  Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
Wanger Court fire
Wanger Court fire on April 11, 2014. (Photo courtesy of the Newport News Fire Department)




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s