Fire condemns home, displaces two

Photo courtesy Newport News Fire Department.
Photo courtesy Newport News Fire Department.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Fire crews found smoke and flames coming from a home on 20th Street in Newport News Thursday morning.

Around 11:15 a.m., a passerby reported smoke coming from the home in the 800 block of 20th Street. Battalion Chief Steve Pincus said it took firefighters about 15 minutes to get the fire under control.

No one was injured, but the fire caused about $25,000 in damage. The fire was contained to the kitchen and the rest of the home suffered smoke damage.

Two people were displaced by the fire when the home was condemned. The American Red Cross is assisting them.

The cause was attributed to unattended cooking. Pincus said it’s extremely important to make sure to watch your cooking. The majority of kitchen fires are started by unattended cooking.

blog comments powered by Disqus