Two transported in Eggleston Services fire

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Fire-rescue crews have transported two employees of a Norfolk business Thursday morning after a commercial fire caused an evacuation of the building.

Firefighters responded to a dryer fire at Eggleston Services in the 1100 block of Ingleside Road around 9:25 a.m. and crews arrived about four minutes later to find light smoke coming from the building, according to Battalion Chief Julian Williamson with Norfolk Fire-Rescue.

Employees had already begun to evacuate, and crews began accounting for all occupants and searching the building for any left inside.

Other crews entered the building and located the fire, which was contained to a commercial dryer. A hose was advanced inside the building and an aerial ladder was placed to the roof to check for fire extension. Crews had to ventilate the building, due to a large amount of smoke.

Williamson said about 30 firefighters responded to the fire because of the size of the building, and the fire was deemed under control within 15 minutes of the emergency call.

Everyone from inside the building is accounted for, but Williamson said six patients were evaluated for possible smoke inhalation injuries. Two of those patients were transported to a local hospital for further evaluation, but none have life-threatening injuries.

A fire marshal deemed the cause of the fire accidental in nature.

Eggleston Services provides commercial laundry services for the military.

No further information has been released. Stay with WAVY.com for updates as they become available.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

blog comments powered by Disqus