NN house fire ruled accidental

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Crews battled an electrical fire at a home in Newport News Wednesday morning.

Battalion Chief Steve Pincus with the Newport News Fire Department said a passer-by called “9-1-1″ about smoke coming from a house in the 1200 block of 29th Street. Crews arrived and found heavy smoke showing from the front of the two-story residence.

Pincus said crews got the fire under control in about 20 minutes, and no one was home when the fire started. The flames were contained to the second floor, where the fire started, but fire officials said there was smoke damage throughout the second floor. The home was condemned due to the extent of the damage.

Pincus said investigators determined the fire was electrical in nature, and it was ruled accidental. He also said there were indications that renovation work was underway at the home, and it appears no one was living there at the time.

Fire at Newport News home on April 9, 2014. (Photo courtesy the Newport News Fire Department)
Fire at Newport News home on April 9, 2014. (Photo courtesy the Newport News Fire Department)

 

blog comments powered by Disqus