VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – Virginia Beach fire crews were called to the Mayflower Apartments in Virginia Beach Tuesday afternoon when paint fumes made residents unwell.
Fire Marshal Terrence Tassone with the VBFD said workers were painting inside the building at 205 34th Street when residents of the building began feeling so unwell the fire department was called around 12:45 p.m.
The HazMat team responded and found the fumes were too high for humans to ingest. The floors, where the fumes were, had to be isolated, Tassone said.
No one was transported and the building was not evacuated, but the workers had to stop painting and fans were placed to bring air into the building.