NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – April is Pothole Repair Month in Norfolk and crews are taking advantage of the nice weather to fill some potholes.
The harsh winter has created havoc on roadways making for a bumpy ride for drivers.
WAVY News’ Ava Hurdle went out with crews in the area of 36th Street and Colley Avenue. One pothole was about six inches deep and had to be cleaned out before crews could make a permanent repair.
It was then filled with a hot mix, which was shoveled into place and then raked over. Once done, a hot roller went over the filler and smoothed it into the surface of the existing roadway.
More potholes this year than last means a budget adjustment.
“Considerably more potholes this year than last year,” said Janeen White with Norfolk Public Works. “During pothole repair month, we filled a little over 1,300, and like I said before, we’ve already done 1,900 for March. And we’re just getting into pothole repair month for April.”
She said the city has adjusted its repair budget for this.
“From January to March, we’ve already spent a total of 120,000 dollars in temporary and permanent pothole repairs, but our budget can accommodate that,” White said. “We make sure we have a budget that will accommodate the weather and the need to do roadway repair.”
Road crews aren’t the only ones responsible for taking care of potholes, though. They depend on your help to report exact locations of potholes so they can make repairs.
To report a pothole on a state-maintained roadway, which encompasses most highways and interstates, check out the Virginia Department of Transportation’s website.
To report a pothole on a city-maintained roadway, find the info from your city below:
- Chesapeake: You can report a pothole here in the City of Chesapeake. Or call 757-382-CITY.
- Hampton: If you need to report a pothole in Hampton, call the city’s Customer Call Center at 311 or 757-727-8311 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. 7 days a week.
- Newport News: To report a pothole in Newport News call 757-933-2311.
- Norfolk: Call the Norfolk Cares Center at 757-664-6510. Or you can “report a concern” on the front page of the website.
- Portsmouth: Report a pothole by calling the Public Works Department at 757-393-8666.
- Suffolk: Click here to report a pothole in the City of Suffolk.
- Virginia Beach: Click here to fill out the form. Or call 757-385- 1470 to report a pothole. You can also email email@example.com. Try to provide the specific address of the pothole or the two cross streets.