VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Fire crews battled flames at a multi-family apartment in Virginia Beach Tuesday evening.
Terry Tassone with the Virginia Beach Fire Department confirmed the residential fire in the 700 block of Arthur Avenue, near the intersection of Holland Road and South Rosemont Road. Emergency dispatchers say a 911 call came in around 5:15 p.m.
One man was sent to the hospital after trying to put out the flames on his own.
“Hopefully we can get him out of here by tonight,” said Ashleigh Williams.
The day for Williams started like any other, but ended up at Sentara Norfolk General.
“It was crazy,” she said. “I never seen myself running into a house that had smoke and flames.”
Williams and her dad Roger Huff were in their town home on Arthur Avenue when the teenager next door came sprinting towards them.
“Our neighbor had come over screaming for help because his house was on fire,” Williams said. “We went to our backyard where our fire extinguisher was and ran over there.”
Huff decided he would take it upon himself to go in and put out the flames.
“I was standing right by the door and he was yelling at both me and the teenager do not come in and stay out,” Williams said. “I saw my dad falling back towards the door and dropping down. He was choking and my first instinct was to get him out.”
Then, with the house fille with smoke, Williams said her dad passed out.
“I did what I learned from elementary school,” Williams said. “I got down low under the smoke and tried to get him out as fast as we could.”
She and the teenage neighbor dragged her dad out to safety.
Huff was rushed to Norfolk General where he is recovering. He suffered a back injury and bumps and bruises, but should make a full recovery.
“My dad is a hero,” Williams said. “He is my hero, at least.”