Navy increases base security after NSN shooting

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The Navy has announced a new security screening measure for all delivery drivers before they are allowed inside any mid-Atlantic installation. The change comes after a fatal shooting at Naval Station Norfolk last week.

Special Coverage: Naval Station Norfolk shooting

The new measure requires drivers presenting a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) to be subject to a criminal history check by the National Crime Information Center database. The database will check for previous convictions or outstanding warrants that are grounds for denying the driver access to the base, according to Navy Region Mid-Atlantic access standards — not the TWIC eligibility criteria.

That means if a driver has any felony convictions within the last 10 years, misdemeanor convictions within the last five years for crimes of violence, larceny, drugs or habitual offenses, or is a convicted sex offender, he or she won’t be granted access.

The Navy’s Region Commander, Rear Adm. Dixon R. Smith, ordered the additional security measures last week. Before then, drivers with a TWIC were not subject to that kind of screening.

In a press release Monday, the Navy said the change was specifically enacted following the March 24 shooting death of a Sailor aboard USS Mahan and was put in place to ensure “denial criteria” is consistently applied to everyone who tries to enter a Navy installation.

NCIS is still investigating the shooting. Additionally, U.S. Fleet Forces commander, Adm. Bill Gortney, is holding a separate investigation that will extensively examine “the circumstances surrounding the Naval Station Norfolk shooting, to include a review of applicable policy, programs and implementation. This investigation will explore in detail how the civilian accessed the base, including whether the gate sentry complied with access control procedures in effect at the time.”

The Navy says that sentry — who allowed the shooter, Jeffrey Savage, access to Naval Station Norfolk — has been placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete.

A memorial service for the Sailor who was killed, Master-at-Arms 2nd Class Mark A. Mayo, will be held Monday at Naval Station Norfolk. The details of the service will be provided once finalized.

Stay with WAVY.com for updates as they become available.

blog comments powered by Disqus