FD: House fire caused by child with lighter

chesapeake fire engine

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Fire marshals say a child playing with a lighter was the cause of a residential fire in Chesapeake Monday evening.

Captain Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department said firefighters were called to the 500 block of Greenway Drive around 7:45 p.m. for a house fire in the Great Bridge section of the city. They found smoke coming from the one-story home and were able to control the flames by 8:13 p.m.

Saunders said no one was injured and damage to the home was contained to one bedroom, with the exception of minor smoke damage to the rest of the house.

The family of five was not displaced from the residence.

blog comments powered by Disqus