Family jumps out second floor window to escape fire

FRANKLIN, Va. (WAVY) – “I’m sleeping, my girlfriend comes wakes me up. ‘The house is on fire, the house is on fire.’”

That was last Sunday around 4:30 a.m. Travis Boone was sleeping in his Franklin apartment, along with his girlfriend, Rochelle Scott.

“I opened the front door, [there was] thick black smoke coming from the bottom, in the stairway,” said Boone.

That trapped Boone, Scott, their one-year-old baby, Brayden, and Scott’s father inside the second-story apartment. They had only one way out: the kitchen window.

“I jumped first. No second thoughts. I just had to get me and my family out,” said Boone.

Brayden went next. Scott dangled him as low as she could.

“I was holding him. I didn’t want to let him go,” she said. “I gave him a little kiss before I dropped him.”

Boone caught him. Scott’s father followed. The family called 911, but everything inside their apartment was lost.

“I’m not really stressed on material things, because you can get those back,” said Boone. “I’m just happy I got my family.”

Boone and Scott dropped their renter’s insurance in November, so they’ll have to start all over. But they’re relieved they lived to do that.

“It’s a tough pill to swallow, but we’re going to swallow it. We’re young,” said Boone, adding that he hopes others will learn from their story. “If you have family members, just hold them close by. Tell them you love them every day.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s