Grandmother who died in fire awarded for heroism

Photo courtesy Grogan family.
Photo courtesy Grogan family.

GLOUCESTER, Va. (WAVY) – A Gloucester grandmother who died trying to save her grandsons in a deadly fire last year was posthumously awarded the Carnegie Medal.

Virginia Grogan died trying to save Gabriel, Michael and Thomas Grogan Jan. 16, 2013 at their home in Gloucester. The boys and their mother were asleep in a bedroom when the fire sparked.

Virginia and her husband climbed on the roof of the front porch and she and her husband were able to pull the boys’ mother from the home. Virginia then went inside in an effort to help the boys.

She was found in the living room of the home and the boys in the bedroom. They had all succumbed to smoke inhalation.

The Carnegie Medal is awarded to those who “risk their lives to an extraordinary degree while saving or attempting to save the lives of others.”

blog comments powered by Disqus