HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – Virginia Department of Transportation crews will install new overhead signs and structures across sections of Interstate 64 and Interstate 664 on the Peninsula causing minor delays and road closures beginning March 23.
In a news release, VDOT spokeswoman Jennifer Gwaltney said the traffic stops are scheduled between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., with each stop expected to last approximately 15 to 20 minutes. All closures below are subject to weather conditions.
The work will be conducted at the dates, times and locations:
- Sunday, March 23, 8 p. m. to Monday, March 24, 5 a.m.
- Left lane closures in both east and westbound directions on I-64. Eastbound closures begin at the entrance ramp from US-258/Mercury Boulevard (exit 263). Westbound closures begin near the exit ramp to I-664 south (exit 264). Complete interstate traffic stops will occur between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. as the structure is erected across the interstate.
- Monday, March 24, 8 p.m. to Tuesday, March 25, 5 a.m.
- Alternating lane closures in both east- and westbound directions on I-64 between the exit ramps to Norge/Toano (exit 231) and Croaker (exit 231). Complete interstate traffic stops will occur between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. as the structure is erected across the interstate.
- Tuesday, March 25, 8 p.m. to Friday, March 28, 5 a.m.
- Nightly alternating lane closures in both south- and northbound directions on I-664 between the southbound exit ramp at the 26th Street/27th Street overpass (exit 6) and the northbound exit ramp for Terminal Avenue (exit 7). Complete interstate traffic stops will occur on Wednesday, March 26, between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. as the structure is erected across the interstate.
VDOT attempts to schedule maintenance and repair activities during travel periods when traffic volumes are lower. Traffic will be under the control of Virginia State Police.