ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Buncombe County school officials say a 9-year-old boy can use his “My Little Pony” backpack when he returns to class.
The boy’s family said he was prevented from carrying the backpack to Candler Elementary School because administrators said it “triggered” bullying.
Noreen Bruce had pulled her son out of the school last week.
Bruce said she will work with student services director David Thompson to help organize a parent advisory council on bullying.
Buncombe County Schools administrators released a statement Thursday saying they would work with Bruce to make a safe transition plan for her son to bring his book bag to school.
The statement says school officials regret that the issue of being told to leave the book bag at home was perceived as blaming the boy.
Previous Coverage: http://wavy.com/2014/03/14/nc-school-bans-students-my-little-pony-bag/