Man accused of trying to kill officer

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — The Hampton Police Division says gunfire was exchanged between a suspect, who is now in custody, and an officer as the suspect was fleeing police in the Cunningham Drive area Tuesday afternoon.

Police have identified the suspect as 22-year-old Frederick Frimpong Forson, Jr. and charges are pending against him for the attempted capital murder of a police officer. The charges will be obtained when Forson is transferred to the custody of the Hampton Sheriff’s Office.

At 3:11 p.m., officers responded to the Liberty Estates apartment complex on Cunningham Drive for a report of a large fight in a courtyard area, according to Sgt. Jason Price.

“It looked like a free for all,” said one witness about the fight.

“Then [the fighters] separated and then the guy was walking back and he was fussing saying, ‘I’m not going to let you jump on my sister.’ After he said that he was going to come back and shoot this whole place up,” said another witness.

When officers arrived, those fighting had disbanded and were leaving the scene. An officer approached Forson, who was running away from the scene and was thought to have been involved. He “turned toward the officer, brandished a firearm and discharged multiple rounds at the officer,” according to an HPD news release.

The officer returned fire, and Forson fled on foot.

Witnesses tell WAVY News’s Jason Marks they heard about seven shots.

Once out of the officers view, Price said Forson forced his way into an apartment occupied by a man. Officers went door-to-door at the apartment complex searching for the suspect until they noticed a door that appeared to have been forced open. Inside they found and apprehended Forson.

VIDEO: Sgt. Jason Price describes incident at Liberty Estates

Price said no one was injured during the incident, and that there are no other suspects.

As is standard practice for police-involved shootings, there will be two investigations — criminal and internal.

During the search, the division asked local residents to stay inside and put nearby schools on lock down. The following message was sent to parents of Thomas Eaton Middle School students, explaining how the incident delayed dismissal:

Good Evening Parents,

This is Mr. Hudson calling. Today, we had to delay dismissal due to an incident in the neighborhood across from our school involving Hampton law enforcement. The students were never in harms way, however, the school went into what we call a modified lock down as a precaution. During a modified lockdown normal operations continue in the building and exterior doors are locked. Waiting for the clearance from the Hampton Police Department delayed dismissal approximately 10 minutes past our regular 3:49 time. We would like to thank all of the parents for their patience today and would like to especially thank the Hampton Police Department for their support and guidance in this matter.

No further information has been released. Stay with and WAVY News 10 on the air for updates on this developing story.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s