Fire sparks at vacant house in Newport News

Photo courtesy of the Newport News Fire Department.
Photo courtesy of the Newport News Fire Department.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Fire officials say no one was hurt when flames sparked at a vacant house in Newport News Thursday.

Firefighters were called to a two-story home in the 800 block of 24th Street around 3:30 p.m. Crews found fire coming from the back of the house on both levels when they arrived.

Kenneth Lay, Newport News Deputy Fire Chief, said firefighters were able to stop the flames from spreading through the house, and it was considered under control at 4:08 p.m.

Lay said the house was vacant and under renovation. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Stay with WAVY.com for any new information.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

blog comments powered by Disqus