Family displaced, dog perished due to house fire

chesapeake fire engine

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A family of six was displaced from their home Tuesday night after a cooking accident caused the Deep Creek area residence to go up in flames.

Capt. Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department said a call came in at 8:24 p.m. for a kitchen fire in the 3200 block of Sir Meliot Drive. When crews arrived at 8:31 p.m., they saw heavy smoke coming from the one-story home.

An additional engine was requested to help, and crews were able to control the flames just before 9:20 p.m., Saunders said.

At the time of the fire, two dogs were inside the home. On perished, but firefighters were able to rescue the other. No other injuries were reported.

The house was heavily damaged, and the residents will have to stay with family in the area.

Saunders said the cause of the fire appears to be unattended cooking.

Stay with WAVY.com for updates as they become available.

blog comments powered by Disqus