Residents, pets safe after Va. Beach townhouse fire

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – Everyone is safe after a fire at a Virginia Beach townhouse Friday.

Battalion Chief Amy Valdez with the Virginia Beach Fire Department said firefighters found flames when they arrived at a townhouse in the 3600 block of Windmill Drive in the Green Run area of Virginia Beach. Valdez said the flames at the back of the home extended and caught nearby brush on fire.

Valdez said the fire was accidental and electrical in nature. Investigators determined it started at the meter base at the back of the home. The flames extended into the attic of an adjacent townhouse. The two residents of the adjacent home are not able to stay in the house.

The residents of the townhouse where the fire started are also unable to stay in their home. The three people are being helped by the Red Cross.

Fire officials said a dog and a cat were rescued from the home.

Stay with WAVY.com for any new details.

WAVY/Chris Omahen
WAVY/Chris Omahen
blog comments powered by Disqus