Parents and child escape early morning house fire

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – Two parents and their nine-year-old child escaped an early morning house fire by climbing out of a second-story window and onto the roof of their shed.

According to Amy Valdez with the Virginia Beach Fire Department, firefighters received a call for a townhouse fire in the 5800 block of West Hastings Court, in the Lake Edward section of the city, at 2:39 a.m. Friday. The residents said the smoke on the first floor was too thick and they were unable to evacuate.

Firefighters arrived on scene by 2:43 a.m. and rescued the family from the roof of the shed with a ladder. The woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

According to 10 On Your Side’s Lex Gray, the fire burned through the water heater pipe and a lot of water leaked out, stopping the fire from spreading.

Investigators determined the fire began in the furnace located in the first-floor utility closet because of a furnace malfunction, Valdez said.

The townhome next door was evacuated due to smoke entering the home.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s