Overloaded extension cord sparks fire in Norfolk

Photo courtesy City of Norfolk
Photo courtesy City of Norfolk

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – An overloaded extension cord sparked a fire Wednesday evening in Norfolk, according to fire officials.

Battalion Chief Julian Williamson with Norfolk Fire & Rescue said units were called to the 3900 block of Peterson Street around 6:18 p.m. Firefighters saw smoke and flames coming from the first floor when they arrived, Williamson said.

Six adults were inside the home when the fire started. Everyone was able to get out of the house on their own, and no one was hurt. The residents of the home are not able to stay there at this time. 

Williamson said the fire was ruled accidental, and that it was started by an overloaded extension cord.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s