NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — at the Denbigh Trace apartment complex Tuesday evening.
Just after 6 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the 500 block of Bellfield Drive for an apartment fire, according to Assistant Fire Chief Robert Craft. Upon arrival, crews saw light smoke and attacked the fire, controlling it by 6:17 p.m.
No one as injured, and only one apartment received smoke and fire damage. Five people were displaced from the apartment, but did not need help from the American Red Cross.
Craft said “the initial investigation determined the fire to have started in the apartment’s laundry closet in the area of the dryer.”