Pets die in Hampton house fire

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – Hampton fire crews battled a fire at a home along Charles Street early Friday morning.

The fire sparked before 1 a.m. on Charles Street near Kecoughtan Road. Fire officials on scene told WAVY.com the woman who lived at the home said she came home to find smoke and called for help.

Six pets also lived at the home. Crews said one dog and one cat passed away. Another cat was found unhurt while a third was unaccounted for, according to Assistant Chief Jeff Pereira with the Hampton Fire Division. Two additional dogs were rescued and helped with pet oxygen masks.

The condition of the dogs remains unknown at this time.

Pereira said the cause was determined to be accidental and was due to combustible materials in contact with the grate of the floor furnace.

blog comments powered by Disqus