NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk firefighters battled a two-alarm fire at an Ocean View apartment building Friday night.
The 911 call for the fire in the 1400 block of West Ocean View Avenue came in to Norfolk dispatchers around 10:20 p.m. and fire units were at the scene within minutes, according to fire department spokesman Julian Williamson.
Crews reported heavy fire and smoke coming from the second-story of the building when they arrived on the scene.
A female resident who lived in the apartment where the fire started escaped the flames on her own. Medics transported her to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The two-story building is home to 12 apartments but five were unoccupied at the time of the fire, according to Williamson.
Six people were displaced by the fire.
Investigators determined the fire started accidentally by an unattended candle. It is unclear if the building had working smoke detectors, according to Williamson.