HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — After two snow storms in two weeks, drivers are seeing potholes pop up all over Hampton Roads streets.
Virginia Beach is one city where drivers are starting to see an abundance of potholes, which is expected, according to Drew Lankford with Virginia Beach Public Works. Potholes usually increase around this time of year, he said.
“There’s chemicals, there’s fluctuating temperatures,” said Lankford about the weather and the chemicals crews use to treat the roads. “There’s still moisture. So, all those contribute to creating potholes in the city.”
Lankford said from the beginning of the year until the spring, Virginia Beach Public Works will receive around 5,000 calls from people reporting potholes.
“It’s not as bad the rest of the year,” said Lankford. “But, this next 90 days will really be the worst time.”
Lankford said there are crews that will keep an eye out for potholes. Their first choice is to use a more permanent, hot grade asphalt mix to repair the hole. However, sometimes a cold mix is used temporarily.
Lankford also said, they rely on residents to call in and and let them know where potholes are. To report a pothole on a state-maintained roadway, which encompasses most highways and interstates, check out the Virginia Department of Transportation’s website.
To report a pothole on a city-maintained roadway, find the info from your city below:
- Chesapeake: You can report a pothole here in the City of Chesapeake. Or call 757-382-CITY.
- Hampton: If you need to report a pothole in Hampton, call the city’s Customer Call Center at 311 or 757-727-8311 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. 7 days a week.
- Newport News: To report a pothole in Newport News call 757-933-2311.
- Norfolk: Call the Norfolk Cares Center at 757-664-6510. Or you can “report a concern” on the front page of the website.
- Portsmouth: Report a pothole by calling the Public Works Department at 757-393-8666.
- Suffolk: Click here to report a pothole in the City of Suffolk.
- Virginia Beach: Click here to fill out the form. Or call 757-385- 1470 to report a pothole. You can also email email@example.com. Try to provide the specific address of the pothole or the two cross streets.