HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – With the temperatures dropping and winter precipitation expected across the area, Dominion Virginia Power is urging customers to conserve electricity Tuesday.
Officials say Dominion will be able to meet the demand, all available electric generating units in the Commonwealth will be running at maximum levels to do so.
Crews are asking customers to conserve energy, especially between 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday. This can reduce pressure on the generation and transmission systems.
Dominion is providing the following tips to lower energy usage and electric bills:
- Set the heating system thermostat to the lowest temperature that leaves you comfortable. Dominion and the U.S. Department of Energy generally recommend 68 degrees. If you have a heat pump, it is important that you leave it on a constant setting for maximum energy savings.
- Turn off any unneeded lights.
- Delay using dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers and other large appliances until later in the evening.
- Keep the water heater set at 120 degrees. If your water heater is located in an unheated space, install an insulation wrap on the heater and adjacent pipes to prevent heat loss.
- Seal any areas where you feel cold air coming into the house, such as underneath and around exterior doors, windows and electric outlets.
- Close the flue to any fireplace that is not in use.