HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – Some schools have already used their allotted snow days for the semester, and another round of snow is in the forecast.
Last week, some schools were closed for three days due to the snow system, and more is expected Tuesday night into Wednesday — some locations could see between two and eight inches across the viewing area. So, WAVY.com checked with area school systems to find out if they have built-in snow days and what they will do if there is a need for makeup days.
- Chesapeake City Schools have two banked snow days for the second semester, with a third optional day at the discretion of the Superintendent. If the third day is not waived, students will make up a third snow day on Monday, March 31, which was designated as a teacher workday.
- “Due to last week’s weather conditions and closures and the second semester starting a day late, one banked day for the second semester has already been used,” said Kellie Goral with Chesapeake Public School. “If we exceed the number of banked days, we will consider all make-up options and make the best decision for our division.”
- Click here for the 2013-2014 calendar for Chesapeake Public Schools.
- Hampton City Schools have three inclement weather days built in to the calendar, according to spokeswoman Diana Gulotta. She said any days beyond that will be made up at the Superintendent’s discretion.
Isle of Wight County
- Isle of Wight County Schools has two days built in. According to Kenita Bowers with IWCS, the school system still has to make up one day.
- Newport News Public Schools has one inclement weather day built into its schedule. If additional days are needed, a makeup day could be scheduled for Presidents’ Day.
- Norfolk Public Schools also had two days covered. Both were used last week. If more closures occur, makeup days may be Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day or June 19.
- Portsmouth Public Schools also has two days built into its schedule for inclement weather.
- Suffolk Public Schools has two days covered by extra instructional hours built into the school schedule. The third snow day may be made up on Parent-Teacher Conference Day (Feb. 7), the fourth on Presidents’ Day (Feb. 17) and the fifth on Memorial Day (May 26). The sixth could be made up on a Saturday. This year, the snow days missed on January 22 and 23 are covered by instructional hours and will not be made up. The snow day missed on January 24 will be made up on President’s Day, according to schools spokeswoman Bethanne Bradshaw.
- Virginia Beach Public Schools does not have days built into its schedule. Make up days can include March 29, Memorial Day and Saturdays, but will ultimately be decided by the superintendent.
WAVY.com has reached out to other school systems to find out how they operate as well. Keep checking this story for more information as it becomes available.