Space heater sparks fire at Hampton home

Courtesy of Google Maps

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – A forced air space heater sparked a fire Sunday at a home in Hampton, according to fire officials.

Assistant Chief Jeffrey Pereira with the Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue said crews found light smoke when they were called to the first block of Westminister Drive around noon. Firefighters removed wall sheathing and found flames and smoke within the wall. Pereira said firefighters removed other wall sheathing to check for fire.

An investigator with the Hampton Fire Marshal’s office determined the fire was accidentally started by a forced air space heater. Pereira said the space heater was placed at a crawl space vent to thaw water pips, but the heated air eventually caused the wood floor joints and a wall structure to catch fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s