CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – A smell of natural gas forced an evacuation at a Chesapeake elementary school Friday morning.
Capt. Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched to DeepCreekElementary School around 7:38 a.m. When they arrived, the school was being evacuated and students were being loaded on school buses to keep them out of the cold.
Firefighters used a gas meter inside the school but weren’t able to detect any signs of gas inside the building, Saunders said.
No injuries or illnesses were reported and the school was reoccupied just after 8 a.m.