Working smoke detector saves family

Deep Creek house fire

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – A family of four was able to escape from their Deep Creek home early Wednesday morning after a working smoke detector alerted them to a fire.

According to a press release from Captain Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department, firefighters were called to the 1900 block of Beechwood Road at 2:40 a.m. Wednesday. When they arrived they found a working fire in the attached garage of the home.

It took firefighters less than 30 minutes to put the fire out and they were able to keep the fire damage contained to the garage, but the rest of the home sustained heavy smoke damage. The family has been displaced.

The cause of the fire appears to be malfunctioning electrical equipment.

blog comments powered by Disqus