Commercial fire ruled accidental

Commercial fire ruled accidental

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Officials say a fire at an empty commercial building Saturday in Portsmouth was accidental.

The fire sparked before 7 p.m. at a building located in the 1800 block of High Street, not far from I.C. Norcom High School.

Chief Jim Hoffler with the Portsmouth Fire Department told the building was under renovation, and was not open for business.

Hoffler said no one was inside the building at the time of the fire, and no one was hurt.

Fire investigators told they found a burn barrel near where the fire started, and said it was probably used by homeless people to stay warm.

Two nearby buildings were also damaged.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s